How To Get Rid Of Residual Chlorine In Drinking Water?

Chlorine is added to our drinking water as a way of keeping us safe from disease, but chlorine has been linked to heart problems, strokes and even cancer. While there are specific limits as to how much chlorine can be added to water; a lot of the time, these guidelines are not meant. This can mean harm to both you and your family. Let’s discuss a few ways to get rid of residual chlorine in drinking water.


One of the most common ways to remove large amounts of chlorine from your drinking water is by using a filtration system; like Brita for example. These systems promise to remove not only most of the chlorine in your water, giving you a much cleaner and better tasting water; but they also remove anything else that may be lurking in your pipes, such as build up and other harmful things.

Do It Yourself

If a filtration system isn’t within your budget or you find this to be a pain to have to purchase something simply to drink water safely; we have more options for you. Many people have been known to let their water run for a few seconds before they use or drink any.

What this does is get anything that may be sitting stagnant in the pipes moving through and going down the drain; instead of going into your glass. While this isn’t a 100% method, it’s known to help so you get a more pure form of your water. You’ll probably notice a taste difference too.

That not cutting it for you? Don’t worry because you can also boil your water to burn off some of the excess particles that may be in your drinking water. This is something that’s great especially when you have children in the house.

Of course, this is a bit time consuming because you have to wait for the water to cool down before you can drink. What you can do to combat that problem is always have a jug full of water in the fridge and as the water you boil cools down, you can keep filling up the jug.

This is something many people have grown to get used to.

Lastly, when trying to get rid of residual chlorine in drinking water you can let your water sit out for long periods of time before drinking to allow the chlorine to dissipate.

How long you should let the water sit out is debatable but the wider the surface area that the water takes up, and the shallowness of the pool of water will help more chlorine escape quicker.